Monday, April 18, 2011

pure happiness

          The weekend trip titled Frontier consisted of a farming adventure! We (about a group of 20 international students) were taken to a farm three hours outside of PE in beautiful mountains seeing the third highest mountain in South Africa (just south of the Winterberg Mountains). First, I would like to say I adore the ocean but if I had to pick between living in the mountains or next to an ocean the mountains would win. Particularly this location with isolation to the extent of taking dirt roads for over an hour to arrive at the farm house. Also, I enjoy the aspect of not being able to contact the outside world with no cell phone service and neighbors miles away. When we arrived we were given lunch with tea and biscuits. Let me warn you future housemates... we will be having lots of tea and biscuits, I'm a bit obsessed! It was wonderful to have home cooked meals for the weekend and have something other then pb&j!
          The weekend was fantastic nothing I can describe other then pure happiness. Everything just seemed perfect. At one point we were in the back of a 4x4 (picture a safari type truck) and I said I would love to see a rainbow. Not even 30 seconds later the prettiest rainbow I have ever seen spanned between two mountains. I felt like a farming princess for the entire weekend with the gorgeous nature, generous hospitality, and loving company. When I went to bed there was candy on the pillows, when I woke up Kelly had already started water for tea, and I was able to take a bubble bath! Heaven. Not to mention... I was challenged out of my comfort zone once again! We milked cows (squirting milk into our mouths straight from the utter), sheered sheep, shot a 22 rifle, held a baby goat, climbed a mountain, and swam to a waterfall!! The farm where we stayed earns money from wool, the most expensive wool being received from the neck of sheep since it is least exposed to the elements.
        I loved hiking through the beautiful scenery! The only negative was GIANT spiders everywhere! South Africa defiantly has lots of wildlife.. there was even an earth worm about 5 feet long! The house where we stayed had a trophy room... wild animals that the owner hunted, one even being a giraffe! During the rainy part of the day we sat in the room playing cards and drinking tea. Life is so so good and only five days until Easter break!
               Cheers!
                    -Becca

 p.s. thanks for all the birthday wishes :) birthdays in South Africa are enjoyable, spending time at the beach and celebrating with friends!

1 comment: