Monday, January 31, 2011

2 days left in America!

        After the past few weeks of a whirl wind of events, I am left with this feeling of never having been more loved. Although I can't expound on every important and heartfelt detail to lead me to this conclusion, I can verify that I am the luckiest girl in the world. I have a family who gives me unconditional love and strength, friends whom I adore and are always able to put a smile on my face and heart, and a wonderful boyfriend who supports me and my decisions. After many loved ones left yesterday and I said my farewells, I was laying in bed feeling absolutely absurd for having any desire to leave them for 5 months. For I am the happiest I have ever been with no regrets for how I got here (but then again I do only have 19 years of life thus far, and every year has brought me more happiness). But alas, laying there knowing I would miss everyone every second I am gone I felt a sense of peace. It is thanks to all of you that I am able to take on this challenge (and I do love a good challenge) to explore a different part of the world and become diverse and cultured. It is recommended that I go with goals in mind. I would like to share a few of them with you. My main goal, although very ambiguous, is to define myself. I have always tried to do what is viewed socially as the "right thing." I want to determine my own moral compass and values; not just what is expected of me. Please don't take that the wrong way, I don't plan on it being altered greatly... just adapted to fit me perfectly. Another goal is to become more patient. From what I read South Africa is the place for this change to occur due to a laid back manner. I am a strong believer that there is always room for self improvement and I want to be constantly improving myself in hopes that I can improve the lives of those who I encounter. This trip will bring self improvement! Thank you, with the most sincerity I have, for your support. I couldn't be me without all of you. 
                               Love always,
                                       Becca 
my address :
Rebecca Serafini
c/o Monalisa Ndwayana
Office for International Education
NMMU Summerstrand Campus (South)
Gold Fields North Building
PO Box 77000
Port Elizabeth, 6031
South Africa

1 comment:

  1. Update! I just got off the phone with Becca (3:00 pm, 2/3/2011). She made it to South Africa safely! She won't have internet for a couple days, but wanted everyone to know she's safe.

    ReplyDelete