Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hello from Africa!

Hello from Africa!
 Sorry it has taken so long to blog, but TIA (this is Africa) and internet is sparse. Life is good, lots of unexpected events, but good none the less. Stepping off the plane, I was welcomed by a cool refreshing breeze and the smell of the ocean! We stayed at a hotel, woke up, dropped off our things at Annie's Cove, had ten mins to pack, and were on our way to bush camp. Bush camp was crazy! A few things we did included- zip lining, canoeing, military crawling through mud, night hiking, and praying for our tents to not be washed away during the storms. All in all adventurous and exhausting with trying to recover from jet lag. I went swimming in the ocean yesterday! We saw dolphins and BEAUTIFUL landscape. This week is lots of orientation, figuring out the African system, and making friends. Things are so different here. Even obtaining electricity is strange. You have to go to a gas station, buy a card, then put it on your meter back at your place. Updates will be difficult because the nearest internet place is a 40 min. walk away and it isn't too safe to be walking around with a laptop. Annie's Cove, where I stay, is very cool with lots of small houses, filled with international students, and a pool in the middle. Everyone is amazingly friendly! Actually, I'm going surfing tomorrow with a guy I met at a rugby game. The campus is huge with monkeys just walking about. We are at an internet cafe now and will be here for a while since it is pouring out. Today we registered for classes and went on a campus tour. The campus is pretty and very big with a north and south campus. There is such a jungle/African feel to it with the trees and monkeys. I am really excited for my classes! One class is volunteering in a township. I will be working at an orphanage with children who have aids and/or have been abused by their parents and abandoned. It should be challenging for my heart but I can't wait to help. Hope everyone is enjoying the chilly weather, I'm sitting in a tank top and shorts now! I love you and miss you all! cheers!
                                                           love,
                                                                 Becca
p.s. most people call me Rebecca here because I guess Becca means "turn around."

2 comments:

  1. Becca or "rebecca" !
    Everything sounds amazing .. i am super jealous!
    I loved reading your blog - so keep them coming but be SAFE!!!
    Bush camp sounded amazing - i cant wait to see pictures!!!
    Helping kids is your calling - they will love you!!!
    Miss you already - right now im wishing I was in south africa with this FREEZING weather!!
    xox looking forward to hearing from you next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be such an awesome experience...monkey's in the trees on campus? You won't find that at Cal U! What an adventure, but we do miss you!

    ReplyDelete