Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Meet Coleen! My housemate from Jamaica! She lived there the first 12 years of her life and now lives in Florida. It doesn't matter what I am doing or saying she is always laughing at me! Which laughter is always welcomed to keep a smile on. She doesn't really like to cook either but we will figure something out. Tonight, a group of about 7 are having a bri (cookout) and everyone is bringing something. I'm in charge of the vegetables so that shouldn't be too difficult!
Meet Bridget! My first friend! Actually, we had every flight together so it worked out well! She is great, we are training to run a marathon together at the end of May. She has the goal of running a marathon on every continent! She and I are hoping to buy bikes soon so that we don't have to walk everywhere.

They say there is a drought but I haven't really seen it because it is raining again today. I woke up at about 6:30 to go for a run with Bridget and then we went to campus to look into Afrikaans. I'm still debating on whether to take it or not. It doesn't really fit into my schedule and the pronunciation is tough. I came back to my place to see my bed made, the floor vacuumed, bathroom cleaned, and the dishes done! It was a lovely surprise! I guess they come once a week to clean up. Coleen says it takes them a total of 7 mins because they are so fast. I am adjusting to the time. Everyone and everything is late here. I rarely know what time it is and look forward to getting into a routine with classes. I feel like it doesn't really matter what you wear here, there are so many different styles and lots of diversity (which works out well since we only have a mirror big enough to see our eyeballs). I have been doing pretty well with the homesickness. Immensely better then when I went away to school for the first time. It helps that everything is completely new and that even going to the store is an adventure! I would love to hear how things are back home so please keep me updated on your lives!
                love,
                    Becca 

5 comments:

  1. Becca mi love!!! Oh my word. This is amazing. I really kind of wish that when I was done here, I could just fly to SA to live with you for a little while! Actually, I REALY wish that. I miss you so much, and I am SO glad to hear everything is so awesome! I hope your cookout went well and that you take Afrikaans, its a really cool language. I started to learn with Wilfred last summer, but it was hard to learn two languages at once! Keep being awesome, and keep being safe :) Miss you, love you, praying for you. Bendiciones mi mejor amiga, eres muy especial y estoy muy agradecido por ti. <3 <3 muak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your experiences. Things back home are very snowy and cold, so I'm jealous that you can wear summer clothes already. Your pictures are awesome, although I probably would have passed out when that monstrous snake was around.
    "Can miles truly separate you from friends.... If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?" -Richard Bach... Listen to my man Bach here lol. Love you, be safe <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks amazing, I'm soooooooo Jealous that i'm not there with you. also i think you should look a little more thrilled to have a massive snake around your neck and don't pretend like its creeping you out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma Sue says : I love you, and I miss my calls on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete